Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Easy Grain/Sugar Free Choices

Choosing to live Wheat/Grain/Sugar free has given me opportunities to "simplify".  No longer do I load up a large grocery cart - actually, I've used the smaller cart for years - saving my back from strain which used to be "the case' as I pushed the cart up the parking lot to my car for unloading.

The kitchen remains clean, the fridge is not filled "to the brim" and the grocery bill has decreased by many dollars. What to eat? I choose to eat foods listed in Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis: berries, green vegetables (no carrots, potatoes or other blood sugar spikers), organic eggs, organic heavy whipping cream, unsweetened almond milk, Hormel uncured bacon, avocados, Daikon radishes, tuna, salmon, other organic fish, chicken - baked (iffy on this choice - need to get organic); and items from Wheat Free Foods, LLC - almond/spice cookies, muffins and flaxseed wraps.

When I first started this life-changing journey, I was "in the kitchen" a lot - learning how to make many new recipes from the Wheat Belly Cookbook and Wheat Belly Recipe Central on Facebook. More recipes can be found on Dr. Davis's Wheat Belly blog.

Nearly 84,000 people "Like" Wheat Belly on Facebook. We go there for support and encouragement. Every day someone reports in with great results - including weight loss, increased energy, reversal of diabetes and many other maladies.

It's best to read and reread Wheat Belly. Then, start reading labels - read every label of every food product. I tossed out bags of wheat-laden foods. I chose to go "cold-turkey" and treat this as a serious matter - a life-threatening matter! Bags of the "awful stuff" went to the trash bin. Gone forever!

To help me move forward with what I was learning, I set up a Monday Meetup group at my home. I printed out FAQ sheets from our Facebook friend, Robert Rominger and shared them with those who attended. I fixed healthy wheat/grain/sugar free food. We also prepared recipes from Wheat Belly and from the Wheat Belly Cookbook. (Dr. Davis has several versions of his book available). I buy extra copies from eBay and Half Price Books.

LEVEL - think of your blood sugar - think of it as being "level" - level all day and night. Then figure out which foods "SPIKE" your blood sugar - make it go up and then feeling it DROP down, way down and do it over and over all day. Choose to keep your blood sugar LEVEL!

If you continue SPIKE - you may find yourself feeling bad - and having many health problems that will eventually and probably cost you plenty - drugs, Dr.'s visits, hospitalization, surgeries, etc. The SPIKE causes INFLAMATION - like glass shards ripping your arteries/veins apart - scarring/healing/ripping again and again. Just knowing this - made it easy for me to choose to rid myself of Wheat/Grain and Sugar. 

What's for supper tonight? Another bowl of Stoup - a favorite combo of Miropoix (celery, onion, green pepper mix - sometimes a bit of carrots) into olive oil, several cups of water, chia seeds and two grass fed beef patties broken up - and also a package of frozen kale. Healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment